Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - A Tekke torba, with recent radiocarbon date analysis

View Single Post
Old August 5th, 2017, 11:41 PM   #5
Chuck Wagner
Members

Hi Kay,

No need to go off-board for this. Most textile samples require extra, and careful, cleaning. With no rush on the order it's about $450, a rush order is more. You can see more details on their website: https://ams.arizona.edu/

I found them to be very responsive and very helpful.

Keep one thing in mind; you won't get an unambiguous date unless the sample predates about 1650 AD. Note that on the chart for my torba the line intersects the tree ring date band (blue) in four places and grazes it at a fifth. Any one of them could be the correct one. Without additional independent corroboration there's no way to nail the date down definitively.

I discount the 20th century dates on my piece, figuring that it is possible, but unlikely, that someone forged a piece like this, or copied an old design using just the right yarn. But I doubt it. It could be as early as 1680 or as late as 1821. I'm satisfied with a turn-of-the 19th century placement.

Also, remember that there is always some risk of contamination, particularly if a piece has been chemically washed - thus the requirement for extra cleaning steps, and careful sample selection. In my case, a two inch long weft sample was sufficient for analysis.

Regards
Chuck Wagner
Chuck Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote