Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Flat weave bags

Thread: Flat weave bags
View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2017, 02:36 AM   #75
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Joel,

It dawns on me there used to be (in the late 1970s) a rug shop just outside Harvard Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts, operated by a young Afghani man. I have mentioned this place in the past on these pages. His family collected his sales inventory in the old country and shipped to him. I passed the place frequently on business and would often stop in.

I remember clearly that his stock was mostly Baluchi material that looked "right," but crisply new. It was his stuff that convinced me Baluch rug weavers, some of them, anyway, maintained traditional standards well into the 20th century. Most of it was dark, but the colors looked natural and pleasing, and the end and side finishes were of the old type. For example, he had ToL prayer rugs on wool foundations with the appropriate ends and corded goat hair wrapping on the selvages. All they needed was patina. At the time, I was quite familiar with other Baluch goods in the market that were sad reflections of their predecessors, including cotton foundations and leaky, harsh colors. Another item he had in well represented in his stock was the large pile rug in two sections, stitched together down the center.

My point here is that I am sure he had nothing from the Uzbek Tatari in the store. I would certainly have taken note of it. The lack of such goods doesn't mean they weren't being produced, but it may say something about how the market was operating in Afghanistan around that period. I would imagine my Harvard Square friend was getting goods from the region down towards Herat and elsewhere, whereas the Tatari weavings were emanating from much farther north. A view of the map at Figure 1 in the interesting article Egbert posted suggests the geography of the situation.

As you can perhaps discern, I am non-plussed over not having been aware of this line of weavings.

Rich
Rich Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote