Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Estate find--Khorasan w/ Herati Boarder (?)

View Single Post
Old March 24th, 2017, 03:08 AM   #9
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Nils,

Quote:
...could you expound on the "urban Persian workshop" distinction?
Do you have a few decades to spare?

Not really. By "urban Persian workshop [work]," I am talking about rugs from such sources as Tabriz, Kashan, Kerman, Meshhed (a Khorassan type), Qum, Esfahan, Nain, others. Typically, they are relative fine of weave with warps fully depressed, or nearly so, and usually with cotton warps and wefts. (Some would use the term, "commercial," but I think it was the great Murray Eiland, Jr., M. D., who said, "All rugs are commercial.") They tend to employ classical design layouts or ones derived from classical models. Very often, they are woven from cartoons, i. e., graph paper with the principal design elements colored into the squares according to the proper sequence of the knots. The weavers follow the cartoons the way a musician follows a musical score. The result is often relatively precise execution of designs.

I hope that description is adequate in light of your present experience and knowledge. Contrasted with "urban Persian" might be more rural or rustic production from village venues, or among nomadic breeders of sheep and goats...the notion of "tribal" comes to mind. Such rugs often have a more casual approach to precision of execution and final design.

These are generalizations, of course.

Rich
Rich Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote