Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Estate find--Khorasan w/ Herati Boarder (?)

View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2017, 01:35 PM   #7
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Nils,

Well, no one is stepping forward to ease your pain. It seems likely to be from an urban Persian venue, but no particular one of them stands out to me as the likely source. I make the knot count to be around 210-220 kpsi, which is fairly fine, but there are aspects of the rug that are less refined than many urban workshop types. There is also a slightly uneven quality to the weave for a rug of this type. There is considerable abrash, particularly in the blue, a feature I always love, but which many Persian connoisseurs deem a defect. (Don't get me wrong. I wish they would bring me all their old abrashed rugs. I would take good care of them.)

Then, there are the colors. At first look, one suspects the somewhat lavishly used orange, as we are trained to do that. But my guess is, it is a good color here. Look carefully at the visible areas of warp and weft from the back: do you see evidence of color having leaked from pile yarn into those areas? The red and orange would be the primary risk colors for that phenomenon.

The design is ambitious, and could have come from a number of areas. All in all, I canít resolve your quandary. Khorassan is as good a stab as any, though I wouldn't be making it my first choice. The best I can do is suggest that it is a type not so well-known in the market, and consequently, not readily identifiable. In that context, it could be a familiar name but of a somewhat different sort than what we have come to associate with that venue. For example, workshop rugs from Isfahan (Esfahan) from the early 20th century are somewhat different from the rugs produced after, say, 1950, which have become the recognizable standard. Another example would be Tabriz, which has been associated with a great many quality levels (high and low) over the past century and a half (though a Tabriz rug would likely be symmetrically knotted).

Interesting rug. You can't say it's been boring!

Rich
Rich Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote