Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Real, Reproduction, Fake or...who Cares?

View Single Post
Old October 24th, 2016, 04:39 PM   #6
Filiberto Boncompagni
Administrator

Hi Jeff,

Correction! I wrote "because I think it's an almost exact reproduction of a specific rug I think I saw in Kaffell’s book on Caucasian prayer rugs (cannot check now, I am not at home)".
I am back home and I checked. No, it isn’t on Kaffel’s book. But I remembered having seen this rug quite clearly in one of my books. Perhaps in Bannett’s & Bassoul “”Tapis du Caucase – Rugs of the Caucasus”?
Nope. No, yes…well, almost.
Your rug:

Item #99 of the above mentioned book, “DAGESTAN PRAYER RUG”

Item #100, “SUMAKH WOVEN VERNEH HORSE-COVER”

Field of the first, border of the second. Coincidence? I don’t think so.

Of course, I am not sure; your rug could have been copied from an antique Daghestan prayer rug that was just like this.
Nevertheless, if it the two illustrations were an inspiration for the design of the new rug, the result is good. Could it be considered a reproduction?
Quote:
So is it a reproduction? To me this would imply that it is a PRECISE copy of something already existing, but I have no evidence that is the case either.
Well, if there were around dozens of PRECISE copies of your new rug, I would call it a reproduction.
But I don’t know, and you don’t know… and it is a nice rug, so ultimately I wouldn’t care.

Regards,

Filiberto
Filiberto Boncompagni is offline   Reply With Quote