Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Show your library!

View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2016, 01:43 AM   #7
Jeff Sun
Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Dee View Post
Jeff,

Nice to see someone else as interested as I in Tibetan area rugs!

Seems I have all the books I can see in your collection (and maybe? a few more ) save for Antique Carpets of China, and I can't quite discern what the one is that is between The Piccus Collection and Temple Household Horseback. What is the one in-between if I may ask?

And re Antique Carpets of China. Is that by Lu Hongqi? If so, worth getting (as my interest of course includes central and western 'Chinese' rugs)?

PS. And let me also say here what a lovely pair (no less!) of pillar carpets in your other thread re 'lighting'. Have several myself, but no pairs.

Kay
Hi Kay!

The one between The Piccus Collection and Temple, Household and Horseback is actually 2 books:

"Tibet Tappeti" an Italian exhibit catalog and...
"Woven Jewels/ Tibetan Rugs from Southern California Collections".

The latter is an interesting choice of names as another book on my shelf is "Vanishing Jewels"...but about Turkmen.

Hong Qi's book is well worth getting. By western standards it's a much better quality book than most available. The paper, the binding and of course the pictures are all rather good. Better than a lot of other books on the shelf.

However, the English translations leave a lot to be desired.

Xinjiang and Tibet are both covered. Hong Qi's explanation of the origin of weaving in China, is um...unique. Quite China-centric. But I would expect no less from a man whose name translates to "Red Flag Lu".

Another book on my shelf (but not in the picture) is "Carpets in the Collection of the Palace Museum" This is a heavy tome and the text is all Chinese, but the rugs are all of Imperial origin. Not the kind of stuff you would find on ebay. In the US this book goes for big bucks, however on Taobao, or one of the Taobao middle-men like buytome, you can pick it up for about $70

So...now I have to see what is on YOUR shelf!.

Last edited by Jeff Sun; September 9th, 2016 at 02:34 AM.
Jeff Sun is offline   Reply With Quote