Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Bag with replaced ends

View Single Post
Old September 4th, 2016, 02:22 PM   #50
Rich Larkin
Members

Hi Patrick,

Quote:
With some dark blue and some red, single wefts, compared to yours with dark, double wefts, they likely weren't made by the same tribal group, although both may be Kurdish.
You can make an analogy to the far more common 'Jaff' type of storage bag, with the diamond grid pattern. They come in a variety of weaving styles, not to mention palettes. Clearly, a good many discrete groups wove them, presumably Kurdish (excepting the odd outlying copy...which have never struck me as Kurdish when I've found them). It seems the general similarity between your square and Chuck's is too great to be coincidental, given the oddness of the format. Perhaps the weaving of such pieces was customary among the Kurds, though not nearly as frequent as the storage bags, nor as likely to make it to the market.

I might speculate that the squares were practice pieces for young weavers for the specific purpose of training them on some typical Kurdish design elements. Your observation that they have the character of a wagireh in that regard is an astute one. But the weaving itself from the standpoint of a fabric seems very competent in both pieces. Anyway, that square canvas with the undyed field for the display of essentially one decorative item (or one repeating field pattern in your piece) certainly looks like common practice. I wonder whether any more can be found.

It's always great to get an insight into what the rural Kurdish weavers were thinking!

Rich

P. S.
Quote:
A little more digging turned up this little piece....
Migawd!! There really is a bunker!
Rich Larkin is online now   Reply With Quote