Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Alizarin question...HELP!

View Single Post
Old December 15th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #5
Paul Smith
Members

Default Thank you!

I knew I could count on the generosity of the Turkotek team to shine a light on my struggle. Thank you for your responses. I have returned to the other forum to confess my ignorance. Balance is again restored to the universe.

Yes, it's true that natural madder pigments were an old source for red tones in violin varnish, I think going back into the 17th century. Interesting that alum plays a role in both the pigment and the dye. From what a few of the luthiers have said, the method of preparing the pigment with the proper use of alum is crucial in making it lightfast. It is also interesting to find out that synthetic alazarin did at least to some degree make it into Central Asia, because I am pretty sure that I would be fooled by this color visually if I saw it. I probably am already fooled by something hanging on a wall here.
Paul Smith is offline   Reply With Quote