Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - How to Put Your Images into a Message

View Single Post
Old November 7th, 2014, 09:58 AM   #3
Filiberto Boncompagni
Administrator

Hi Martin,

You are right. The resolution of my monitor is 1366x768 pixels, that is also the most popular screen resolutions in use in 2013-2014. (see http://www.hobo-web.co.uk/best-screen-size/)

Which means that now we can increase the horizontal size of the pictures, but not too much, otherwise we will be obliged to scroll horizontally our screen to see an image that is too wide.
Yesterday, for example, somebody linked to a very large (in width) photo from another website. It didn’t fit on my screen, so I downloaded, resized and uploaded it to our server (changing appropriately its link).

Just now, I resized and recompressed seven pictures for the current Salon. They had a width between 777 and 1099 pixels, for a total file size of 4061 kB.
I processed them to a width between 600 and 800 pixels for a total file size of 1154 kB.

In short, that’s what I am doing now: using a width between 550 pixels (for long, narrow and vertical pictures) and 600/800 for the more square ones, depending also on the amount of details that they are supposed to show. Also the amount of jpeg compression applied depends on the quality of the picture and the level of detail.

So, I am keeping now the file size from a little above 100 kB to under 200 kB, with an average “weight” of around 150 kB or even less. Bigger than that, it’s just a waste of bandwidth and server space.
Regards,

Filiberto
Filiberto Boncompagni is offline   Reply With Quote