Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Scheunemann rugs

View Single Post
Old September 28th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #11
Horst Nitz
Members

Hi Pierre,

thank you for another gorgeous essay. I’d like to chip in with the image of the centre of a 15th c Ghirlandajo rug from the Lutheran church of Halchiu / Romania that I’ve processed so, that one looks at it from about the same angle as onto the Scheunemann rug you have been discussing with Filiberto. It is a pretty close match, I think, with its medallion as well as the S-border.

A full picture of the rug is depicted here as cat. # 3:

http://www.turkotek.com/mini_salon_00016/salon.html

As intrigueing as the idea is, that the Dutch may have set up own workshops in order of securing a reliable supply for image portraits with carpets, the Scheunemann rug probably rests in the tradition of its own authentic habitat somewhere between East Anatolia, NW Persia and the Karabagh. You are probably right in suggesting, that the exact type of rug as in the painting is now extinct; but apparently this was not always so. Here, a rug from the former Pohlmann collection:

Pohlmann was a Jewish German citizen who probably resided in Berlin. I am unaware of what happened to him or his collection in the Nazi and WW II era, but may be able to find out in a little while. No colour image of the rug exists that I know of. The one depicted is taken from the V Gantzhorn (1998) book, German edition.

Regards,
Horst Nitz is offline   Reply With Quote