Welcome to TurkoTek's Discussion Forums

Archived Salons and Selected Discussions can be accessed by clicking on those words, or you can return to the Turkotek Home Page. Our forums are easy to use, and you are welcome to read and post messages without registering. However, registration will enable a number of features that make the software more flexible and convenient for you, and you need not provide any information except your name (which is required even if you post without being registered). Please use your full name. We do not permit posting anonymously or under a pseudonym, ad hominem remarks, commercial promotion, comments bearing on the value of any item currently on the market or on the reputation of any seller. Turkotek Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Scheunemann rugs

View Single Post
Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Filiberto Boncompagni
Administrator

Hi Pierre,

Your last installment about the
Quest for the elusive Caucasian rug reminded me something that I forgot (not surprising with advancing age and a line of discussion that spans over years): the very same “S” or “inverted S” minor borders appears also on this Italian painting, a Portrait of a Young Nobleman, circa 1545 (LACMA, Los Angeles) Veneto-Lombard School:

together with the “Leaf and Wineglass” main border.

You showed also Schurmann’s plate 44, a Gendje rug with the same two borders.

I looked at the plates of most of my books on Caucasian rug and Schurmann’s Gendje is the only surviving pile rug with that “S” minor border I was able to find, although Bennett’s “Caucasian” has a flat-weave (a “Verneh”) with it (plate 479).

I decided to have a better look at Nooter’s “Flat Woven Rugs and Textiles from the Caucasus” and I found more examples so I have to correct my first post. Nooter shows SIX pieces with the “S” border NOT three:
Fig 22 (a khorjin) , Plate 107 (another Verneh, surprisingly similar to the one in Bennett), Plate 135 (a mafrash), Plate 187,188 and 194( all khorjins).

In conclusion, this minor border seems to be quite rare on Caucasian pile rugs but easy to find on Caucasian flat-weaves.

They say that flat-weaves are the real repository of Caucasian weaving tradition. Perhaps it passed out of fashion on pile rugs but it held its place among homely textiles?

Regards,

Filiberto
Filiberto Boncompagni is offline   Reply With Quote