PDA

View Full Version : Hand woven or................?

Pages : 1 [2]

Ken Shum
November 7th, 2017, 07:43 PM
All,

As a observer, it seems (to me at least) that Kay's intent not to enter into discussions with Marla only applied to the structure of Tibetan rugs with Marla and not "La-la-la I'm not speaking to you" in general.

Ken

Kay Dee
November 9th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Ms. Kay Dee,

I wonder why people just assume Kay is a woman's name? :nerd2: :felix: :)

Steve Price
November 9th, 2017, 01:45 PM
Hi Kay

The short answer is that it's a pretty common woman's name and a very rare name for men.

Just a reminder: you said that don't want to engage in conversations with Marla, so please don't make comments to or about her.

Steve Price

Kay Dee
November 9th, 2017, 11:00 PM
Steve, my comment was to EVERYONE, just using Marla's address to me as an example; that is as much as you and others may assume that Kay is a woman's name, where I come from it is not, just as Robin / Robyn is not, as I have said before IIRC, re 'Kay' on this forum.

Anyway Steve, this is just getting all too silly, so if you are so on the horse that thinks I have it in for Marla just go ahead and ban me from your forum. Pity you couldn't have seen the same / been more objective / said the same to her when she was so rude to me some threads ago now.

But as Ned Kelly said "Such is life". Or as Nepali's say 'Khe ghani' i.e. 'what to do'.

If people cant handle or be made aware of the truth, or a direct point, then so be it.

Sorry about that but I stand 100% by ALL my posts.

Best rugs and goodbye, Mr Kay

PS. Let me add if I may, where I come from the word 'assume' (or simply assuming anything) translates to making an ass out of u and me. Again, goodby in advance, and it was enjoyable while it lasted. As we say at the beach "see you in the tube" (if you should be so lucky as to have a wave / tube nearby that is).

Chuck Wagner
November 10th, 2017, 12:12 AM
Kay,

You could have avoided this ridiculous unpleasantness by just answering the question instead of invoking an "appeal to authority" logical fallacy and then behaving badly. I've been looking at rugs for decades as well. That doesn't confer knowledge. It confers experience.

It's not unreasonable to ask what criteria someone uses to make a judgement.

You can ban yourself, Steve doesn't need to do it. Or, you could let bygones be bygones.

Your call; you have made many interesting posts but the unnecessary sidetracks reduce their appeal.

Chuck

Regards
Chuck

Rich Larkin
November 10th, 2017, 01:31 AM
Well said, Chuck.

Jeff Sun
November 10th, 2017, 04:15 AM
Wow. Looks like I picked an interesting time to check Turkotek

Interesting rug Kay! (interesting conversation, too!):angelic:

My thoughts are that this carpet is not Tibetan, it is Chinese, of some variety and made recently for purely decorative FLOOR purposes and has probably never seen the back of a horse. Even a really BIG horse.

Just my 2 cents.

Anyway, for some reason this has put me in the mood for some Niu Rou La Mian. I may have to duck into the city the weekend for a bowl of hand pulled noodles!

Also I hope it is not Goodbye, as I enjoy your Tibetan/Chinese rug posts and conversations very much.

Kay Dee
November 13th, 2017, 07:41 PM
OK, I’ll agree a stupid move on my part opting out / per-empting what appeared to be (and is on other forums) a ban for not towing the line, and being and FNG to boot. But……………………..that’s what it looked to me from where I was sitting and like where it seemed to be heading with what appears to me to be a general attitude here that “Marla (however much an expert in some areas she may be) can say no wrong / could not possibly be in error" attitude. But like I said earlier, I found her both condescending and insulting when I posted (in another thread) my position re “faded rugs / beauty is in the eye of the beholder”, so I figured what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. But I was wrong I see.

So, to be polite, in an impolite situation, I’ll answer / comment on some input since I ‘left’, from the most recent down to previous.

Jeff Sun> My thoughts are that this carpet is not Tibetan, it is Chinese, of some variety and made recently for purely decorative FLOOR purposes and has probably never seen the back of a horse. Even a really BIG horse.

Re underlined, EXACTLY! As anyone with ANY knowledge of Tibetan carpets should be able to see in a heartbeat / glance (of the back).

Jeff Sun> Just my 2 cents.

Nah, at least a dollar in this situation given your interest of rugs from said areas in question.
Chuck Wagner> You could have avoided this ridiculous unpleasantness by just answering the question instead of invoking an "appeal to authority" logical fallacy and then behaving badly. I've been looking at rugs for decades as well. That doesn't confer knowledge. It confers experience.

As someone wrongly noted before (Jeff maybe) that it was not personal, it is, that is I want nothing to do with answering ANY question or post by Marla, nor would I bother to intrude / participate in any of her threads (no loss there, I here shouted in the background) given her previous performance with regards my position / opinion re beauty is in the eye of the beholder and / or who is she to tell me what I should or should not like and why statement. Forgive yes, forget not!
Chuck Wagner>It's not unreasonable to ask what criteria someone uses to make a judgement.

The criteria of EXPERIENCE as you yourself said with that particulate type of rug. I have no interest really in the intricacies of how a jet engine works, just that it does, same really for most east of the Durand Line weaving's, as it is so so easy to tell the difference (just from the back) of the different types it is not even worth discussing, even though Marla can quote chapter and verse re how they are woven.

Chuck Wagner>You can ban yourself, Steve doesn't need to do it. Or, you could let bygones be bygones.

Yeah, like I said that was stupid of me, mea culpa, but I don’t expect any forgiveness as I stand 100% by what I have said prior to offering my resignation / 'spitting the dummy' (as they say in Oz) per se.

Chuck Wagner> Your call; you have made many interesting posts but the unnecessary sidetracks reduce their appeal.

Each to their own. I talk it like I walk it. But Chuck, you sidetrack's' comment seems to me to imply some sidetracks in more than just this thread. Care to elaborate or am I just readin' wrong?

Anyway, as Jeff (Sun) has said, that tiger ‘saddle’ in this discussion ain't Tibetan, has never seen a horse, was made for the floor and to sell at a high price (so called tiger rugs of all shapes and forms are in very high demand today) to some unsuspecting buyer.

Enough said, at least by me. Maybe we should just move on with me again admitting my stupidity in resigning prematurely. But that's Steve's (yours?) call I suspect re banning, and others re 'moving on'. :deadhorse:

Steve Price
November 14th, 2017, 12:13 AM
Hi Kay

Over the 19 years we're been on line, only four people have been banned, although three of them were banned more than once after their bans were lifted. It takes a lot more than me thinking someone is a jerk to get the person kicked off. On the other hand, your civility is close enough to the edge for me to have set the software to put your posts into a moderator queue for approval (or not, depending on the content).

I'm not interested in engaging you in a debate and, quite frankly, I wouldn't have you as a guest in my home. Speaking as a participant, If you opt out of Turkotek it would suit me just fine.

Steve Price

Jeff Sun
November 14th, 2017, 01:01 AM
Kay-

1. Don't leave.
2. If you leave, or if your don't, send me your email (not really sure how to do that here) but I have turned on the v-card. It seems we share much of the same interests.
3. Don't leave.

Also, I ended not getting Niu You La Mian, but I did go to Nom Wah for Dim Sum. On a cold November day with rain spitting from the sky, Nom Wah is tough to beat. I hope you have a similar retreat (treat?) down in Oz.

http://nomwah.com/chinatown/

-JS

Kay Dee
November 15th, 2017, 10:10 AM
I'm not interested in engaging you in a debate and, quite frankly, I wouldn't have you as a guest in my home. Speaking as a participant, If you opt out of Turkotek it would suit me just fine.
Steve Price

Hi Steve.

Point/s noted, taken on-board (as I hope some of mine have been).:felix:

As for now, although it seems you yourself would rather me not here, and it is your forum after all, I'll stay for now if its all the same to you(?), and see if I can moderate what to me is just my Ozzie bluntness, but that others can oft find 'offensive'. But with all due respect, and no offense meant, no promises there given my long ingrained writing / bluntly talking habits.

Oh and Jeff, first thanks for your 'support' as it were. However I no longer live in the land of Oz, so no shrimps on the barbie for me, but rather salmon steaks (cold and/or smoked) and moose burgers in my neck of the woods now. :) Oh an pardon my ignorance, but what is the V-Card? :confused:

Kay Dee
November 19th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Here are a few more examples, for anyone still so interested, to show the region the tiger saddle rug is most likely from (or a copy thereof) and what kind of weave / area it is not from for that matter, i.e. Tibetan / Tibet.

Only pic that is mine so to speak is the Tiger rug, so apologies for quality / 'shape', colour, etc, of others.

1 - Xinjiang/ Khotan area (Far western China)

2 - Tiger rug

3 = Xinjiang / Khotan area (far western China)

4 - Tibetan

5 - Tibetan

http://imagizer.imageshack. us/v2/xq90/922/XORAVM.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmXORAVMj)

http://imagizer.imageshack. us/v2/xq90/924/jfWvCc.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pojfWvCcj)

http://imagizer.imageshack. us/v2/xq90/924/R3n7Qx.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poR3n7Qxj)