PDA

View Full Version : Jürg Rageth’s “Turkmen Carpets, A New Perspective”

Martin Andersen
July 10th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Has anyone been through Jürg Rageth’s “Turkmen Carpets, A New Perspective”? It could perhaps be interesting to discuss it here on Turkotek?

Anyway I can highly recommend the book (even though it has a hefty price tag). Its a beautiful and very very thorough description of both individual rugs, and of their connections in a broad perspective of historical design developments. It to me seems to be the most ambitious book on the Turkmen rug in a long time, if not the most ambitious ever.

Some of Rageth’s highly interesting suggestions might be disputable, for example the suggestion of a direct lineage between specifically the Salor tribe and the Sogdians, but sure a very interesting thesis based on both design development and lingustics.
Rageth also have a focuspoint on the Peikam border and its relation to Kufic ornamentation and the niche/prayer rug, a subject which I personally stil find highly fascinating :)

The heydays of interest in the Turkmen rugs may be over, but if so Jürg Rageth’s book sure is a worthy and beautiful finale :)

All the best
Martin

Martin Andersen
July 10th, 2017, 11:24 AM
(sorry this should probably have been posted in "Miscellaneous (rug-related) Topics". best Martin)

Filiberto Boncompagni
July 10th, 2017, 11:58 AM
Hi Martin,

No problem, it's done.

Regards,

Filiberto

Joel Greifinger
July 11th, 2017, 04:38 PM
I can highly recommend the book (even though it has a hefty price tag).

Hi Martin,

A free downloadable pdf of the book can be found here: http://turkmencarpets.ch/

Joel Greifinger

Martin Andersen
July 11th, 2017, 06:37 PM
Thanks a lot Joel, I wasn't aware of this.

Its a great gesture of the publisher to put the entire publication online (it looks like its an official homepage)

best Martin

Pierre Galafassi
July 11th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Thanks a lot Martin and Joel!!!

Indeed a fantastic job by Rageth and his colleagues.

As a scientist, I always was a great fan of Rageth’s unique approach to rug research.

These two books will be a great enjoyment to read and surely trigger some interesting discussions here on Turkotek, after we will have digested the (superbly illustrated) 800+ pages

I already had the pleasure of reading several scientific papers by two of Rageth’s collaborators, for example in Jo Kirby’s outstanding publications «*Dyes in History and Archeology*» : Jan Wouters (surely one of the world stars in analysis of dyes in archeology) and Georges Bonani (a top expert in C14 analysis).

Imho Rageth has teamed with people who know what they are talking about. (Not such a frequent occurence in so-called Rug Science).

How awfully generous of them to supply free downloads!

Best regards
Pierre

Filiberto Boncompagni
July 12th, 2017, 07:37 AM
Yes, thank you Joel.
And, of course, many many thanks to Mr. Rageth!
Regards,
Filiberto